Wednesday 6 February 2013

Transitioning from American food to English food.

You might be wondering 'what is it like to eat like a college student in a foreign country?' Oh you weren't? Well, I was wondering that when I decided to study abroad for my last semester of school. I imagined that it would be very different cuisine from what I'm used to at my home in Arizona. I feared that there would be no salsa, burritos, or anything remotely hispanic or containing any spice. But, I was pleasantly surprised that indeed England does have a wide variety of foods sprinkled throughout the city. This quickly put my tastebuds at ease. On the other hand, the grocery store was a whole new adventure. The labels were different and things didn't quite taste the same. This once again put me in a state of nervousness for my pallet and its welfare.

I am very accustomed to eating pretty well between my parents cooking when I am home, and myself. I try to put some effort into meals back in the States, but when I got here I noticed that my effort drastically changed. Therefore, in this blog I will aim to dissect Traditional English cooking recipes and the language that the authors use throughout, and hope that it can drastically turn around my cooking habits once again. I want to fully adapt to the current culture that I am in and if that means I have to learn how to cook crazy meals.. so be it!

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. An interesting blog theme - though maybe needs a bit more explanation as to why you want to investigate traditional British food when you can get hold of the foods you eat at home.

    ReplyDelete