Sunday 24 March 2013

Beef Kabobs

My next dish that I found to be quite tasty were some Beef Kofta's or Kabobs. I am not much of a beef eater but I must say that these were some delicious Kabobs that I had one night when I was out with some friends. So like the good blogger that I am, I decided to have Beef Kabobs be my next cooking adventure. I turned back to my lovely British Cookbook "The Frugal English Paleo/ Caveman Cook: Budget Recipes For Gluten Free/Paleo Dishes Suited for British Tastes." Searching throughout the Beef section of recipes, I finally stumbled upon the Spicy Beef Kofta. In each new section of this cookbook the author, Michelle Newbold, gives a few words of wisdom to her reader on how to make the best selections on ingredients as well as prep skills that may be needed.

In this section she gives a few words to get the reader going in the right direction on "Dishes using beef Mince as a base." My favorite part of this is how honest and forward she is with the reader. She just comes out and tells you not to buy bad meat. "When buying mince try to buy good quality fresh mince rather than the cheap and nasty frozen stuff that is a mixture of pork and mince. Using the nasty stuff will result in a tasteless mush swimming in greasy fat that will ruin the consistency of any dish you go on to use it in." THe language that she uses is just hilarious to me. She is very real and just tells you how it is with out sugar coating it so to speak/

Michelle's recipe is as follows:

for 4 koftas
175g/6 oz lean minced beef
1/4 tsp ground turmeric powder
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/4 tsp dried chilli flakes
pinch of salt
2 tsp dried oregano
2tsp ground coriander seeds
Olive Oil, for frying

1 small bunch of fresh parsley leaves
2tbsp olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper

For the koftas, soak five wooden skewers in a bowl of water for ten minutes to prevent the sticks from burning during cooking.
Place all of the kofta ingredients except the olive oil into a food processor and blend until smooth. Use your hands to divide the mixture into five equal portions and squeeze the mixture around the top half of the skewers.
Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a high heat. Fry the koftas on both sides for about 5-6 minutes or until cooked.



No comments:

Post a Comment